Chicken and miso-glazed vegetables (beets, carrots, parsnips, etc)
Leftover lasagne, with greens sauteed with garlic and leftover beans
Soup: Kohlrabi soup
Pasta with tomato sauce and sauteed mushrooms
Leftover soup, served with winter rainbow panzanella
Roasted sesame winter slaw, with tempeh with barbeque sauce
Beet burger (these freeze well), with Yukon gold potatoes cooked in stock and butter and browned and shredded cabbage dressed with lime juice and olive oil
Leftover beet burgers and soup
Lentil soup with rutabaga and potato
- 1-4 Tb olive oil (or coconut oil or any other oil or fat)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced small
- 1-2 stalk celery, chopped fine
- 3 small carrots, chopped fine
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 5 cups french green lentils (or “regular” brown lentils), picked over and rinsed
- 1 medium rutabaga, 1/2″ cubes (~1.5 cups)
- 3 medium potatoes, 1/2″ cubes (~1.5 cups)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-2 tsp salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- ~8 cups stock (more as needed)
- 1/4-1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2-3 sprigs parsley
- Begin to warm onions, celery, and carrots in oil over medium high heat, sprinkling with some salt and black pepper. Saute until starting to brown. Add the garlic and continue sauteeing for another minute or two.
- Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, and simmer until lentils and vegetables reach desired consistency, approximately 30-40 minutes.
- Fish out parsley stems, adjust seasoning, and serve.
- Possible garnishes: chili or herb oil; fresh pea shoots; chopped nuts, bean sprouts, and/or herbs; splash of lemon juice; parmesan cheese and some drops of olive oil, etc.
Broccoli or kohlrabi soup (non-dairy)
- 2 Tb olive oil
- 1 bunch broccoli or 2-3 medium kohlrabi, chopped
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 Tb flour
- 4 c veg stock or chicken stock
- 1/4 – 1/2 c soy milk (optional – we skip it)
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
- 2 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- salt & pepper
- Heat olive oil in soup pot.
- Add broccoli or kohlrabi, onion, garlic.
- Cook ~6 minutes on medium heat.
- Stir in flour; cook ~ 2 min.
- Add stock and whisk.
- Reduce heat to low, simmer 30 minutes.
- Blend until smooth, then return to pot on low heat.
- Add nutmeg, lemon juice, and milk, if using.