By Andrew Burman and Matt Monahan, the chefs at Court Street Grocers.
Serves 6 to 8 as a side
• 2 cups mixed grains (like farro, freekah, wheat berries, wild rice, and quinoa, pearl barley, or any combination of the above)
• 1 cup baby arugula leaves
• 1 cup parsley leaves, minced
• 1/2 cup tarragon leaves, minced
• 1/2 cup mint leaves, cut in a chiffonade
• 1/2 pound pecans
• 1/4 cup walnut oil
• 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
• 1 cup lime, watermelon, or French breakfast radishes, cut into thin slices, preferably using a mandoline
• 1/4 cup shallot, minced
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1/2 cup raisins
• 1/2 cup dried cranberries
1. Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Add the grains and cook until just tender, about 25 minutes. (With grains like wild rice and wheat berries, add them to the pot first and cook 10 minutes before adding remaining grains).
2. Drain the grains into a colander, then set aside until warm to the touch.
3. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and toss well. Season with salt to taste